Volunteers help in many of our departments and play an important role in our visitors' enjoyment and understanding of our Gardens.
Opportunities to Volunteer
We encourage individuals to support our activities by becoming a volunteer. Volunteers support the work of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh in many ways and play a central role in the welcome and experience of our visitors.
The main role of the volunteer is to increase the educational value, interest and enjoyment of a visit to the Garden. This includes explaining the vital role of plants in everyday life and the need to ensure better management of the world's resources.
Volunteers are involved within various areas of the Garden including Horticulture, Science Communication, Phenology, Events, Exhibitions, Herbarium and Library.
All opportunities to volunteer are advertised on this page when they arise.
Looking for Job Vacancies?
These are advertised on our Staff vacancies page
- Creative Programmes Volunteers
Christine Borland: In Relation to Linum
Inverleith House, RBGE
Saturday 31 July - Sunday 3 October 2021
We are looking for enthusiastic and friendly volunteers to join our current team to assist in the daily running of Inverleith House – Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh’s primary exhibition venue – and welcome visitors to our next exhibition within it: Christine Borland’s solo show for Edinburgh Art Festival 2021. Christine Borland’s major new body of work explores the lifecycle of flax, and sits within our Climate House project, supported by Outset Contemporary Art Fund's Transformative Grant.
What does this role entail?
We offer training for this role, and activities include the following:
- Welcoming and orientating visitors in the gallery
- Invigilating and ensuring the safety of the artwork on display
- Answering questions about the exhibition, artists, and other RBGE Creative Programmes projects
- Encouraging visitors to engage with the exhibition and works on display
- Maintaining the cleanliness of the exhibition spaces
- N.B. There could be opportunities to support other exhibitions and events organised by RBGE Creative Programmes too, depending on COVID-19 guidelines at the time
Ideally volunteers will be able to commit to at least 4 hours per week from 31 July to 3 October, between the hours of 10.15am and 4.45pm. We are specifically looking for people with availability on Thursday mornings, Fridays, Saturday afternoons, or Sunday mornings.
How do I apply?
If this sounds of interest, we would love to hear from you. Please complete an application form and return to email@example.com by 9am on Thursday 29 July 2021, along with brief answers to the following questions:
- What do you like most about galleries?
- What is your favourite exhibition you have ever visited, and why do you think you enjoyed it so much?
- What are you looking to gain from joining the volunteer gallery assistant team?
We encourage applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds, and value the positive impact that this has on our team. RBGE is committed to ensuring that all volunteers are treated equally irrespective of their age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, and pregnancy or maternity.
If you have any access requirements or questions relating to this volunteering opportunity, please do not hesitate to get in touch with Creative Programmes Producer, Amy Porteous at firstname.lastname@example.org
All volunteer opportunities will be promoted on this page when available; if there are no opportunities above, please try again at another time.
If you have any queries relating to volunteering at RBGE, please get in contact by using the enquiry formGet in Touch