Visiting us during Covid-19
The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is open daily with some restrictions in place. The John Hope Gateway visitor centre, Gateway Cafe, Botanics Shop and Terrace Cafe are open. All other public buildings, including the Glasshouses, are closed.
All visits require a time slot ticket, booked online in advance.
Please abide by the latest Scottish Government guidance on meeting others and travel. All visits require a time slot ticket, booked online in advance.
The Regional Gardens are open with some restrictions in place.
All visitors to the Edinburgh Garden, including our members, carers, children and babies, must book a time slot ticket in advance. Unfortunately, if you do not hold a time slot ticket, you will not be able to enter the Garden. Tickets are released every Thursday for the following week only.
For more information on visiting during Coronavirus, see our FAQ's.
Helping to protect you during your visit
We have introduced a number of health and safety measures to protect and reassure you when you visit our Gardens.
- You will receive a warm welcome at a distance.
- Visitor capacity will be monitored to facilitate physical distancing.
- There are hand sanitiser units at entrances and other points within the Garden.
- There are protection screens at receptions.
- Contactless payments only.
- PPE is available for our staff. Face coverings are now mandatory in all enclosed spaces, including the toilet facilities.
- There is helpful, directional signage within the boundaries of the Garden.
- Please observe one metre physical distancing.
- Toilets, including additional temporary facilities, are open but please observe maximum limits.
For more information, please refer to our FAQs.
The Glasshouses - closed
Our Glasshouses are currently closed as part of Edinburgh Biomes, the Garden’s major restoration and construction project. Work is now underway to protect our globally important Living Collection of plants for future generations. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Eating and Drinking at the Edinburgh Garden
The Cafe at the Gateway Visitor Centre is open daily from 10am, serving a full range of hot and cold drinks, home baking and ice cream throughout the day.
- Lunch is served 12- 3pm, offering a full selection of soups, sandwiches, salads and hot dishes
- Last orders at 4.30pm. Closes at 5.00pm
- A takeaway service is available within the Garden from the horsebox at the Terrace Cafe and the East Gate Coffee Bar
- The Terrace Cafe currently remains closed for refurbishment
The newly refurbished Botanics Shop at the Edinburgh Garden is open daily from 10am. Please note that visitors to the Botanics Shop need to book a time slot ticket to visit.
Support us today, safeguard our future
As a charity, we need your support more than ever before. Whilst our four Gardens were closed, we lost a large proportion of vital income which helps to fund our international research and conservation work. Please consider joining our support community by becoming a member or make a donation to help us to protect the world of plants.